Engineering Project Manager
Requisition ID: 760
Location: Corporate Office
Piedmont Natural Gas is an energy services company primarily engaged in the distribution of natural gas to more than one million residential, commercial and industrial utility customers in North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee, including 52,000 customers served by municipalities who are wholesale customers. Our subsidiaries are invested in joint venture, energy-related businesses, including unregulated retail natural gas marketing, interstate natural gas storage and intrastate natural gas transportation. More information about Piedmont Natural Gas is available on the Internet at http://www.piedmontng.com/
The Engineering Project Manager will provide supervision and direction for large-scale projects by being a single point of contact for the identification, communication, monitoring and resolution of all issues pertaining to project execution (including scoping, cost estimating, internal approvals, engineering, design, permitting, contracting, construction, inspection, etc.) for projects assigned. The position will also provide support for the Engineering & Technical Services department operation in other areas as needed.
Nature and Scope:
During the execution of project, the Engineering Project Manager will be responsible for determining all requirements by identifying and working with stakeholders, researching historical data within the Company and within the industry and forecasting future requirements. The Engineering Project Manager will execute the design, or employ others to execute the design, but will still retain responsibility for the results by monitoring status and directing the project. This position will be responsible for coordinating the required activities of company and contractor personnel to insure the successful completion of major projects.
The Engineering Project Manager shall have significant expertise in several specialty areas. This expertise will enable the Engineering Project Manager to understand the terminology and requirements of these specialty areas and to be able to resolve or identify/research issues with industry experts.
The Engineering Project Manager interfaces with internal and external stakeholders (such as end customers, Operations, Measurement, Gas Control, Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Training, Contractors, Permitting Agencies, etc.) to ensure all requirements are being met and issues are being identified. The Engineering Project Manager will have knowledge of several other Company Departments and outside agencies used by the Engineering Department. The Engineering Project Manager will have significant exposure to various engineering disciplines and be able to recognize when decisions in one area will impact other areas
Internally, the Engineering Project Manager interfaces with all stakeholders to learn of issues and respond to concerns about materials, performance of individual components or performance of broader systems. The Engineering Project Manager must assemble the information from the various stakeholders, select a solution, ensure communication of the relevant characteristics of that solution to all stakeholders and implement the solution.
The Engineering Project Manager shall have significant knowledge of the contracting process and the protections required by the Company.
In the course of executing projects and other work the Engineering Project Manager will provide positive coaching and mentoring to other Engineering and Technical Services Department staff.
The Engineering Project Manager shall contribute as a subject matter expert to the maintenance of Engineering Policies and Procedures with regard to design, construction, operating and maintenance, and emergency response. Specifications must assure code compliance for the entire system from the supplier delivery and measurement stations through transmission pipelines, pressure regulating stations, distribution pipelines, service lines, and customer meter sets. For some components of the system, a specific detailed engineering drawing will be required. For some components, a detailed written plan for the process is required. The primary concern is for specific plans to be consistent with the policies and procedures while meeting environmental, safety, functionality, schedule and cost requirements.
* Develop and implement solutions for large-scale projects and ensure that solutions are integrated to all stakeholders in a way that meets stakeholder needs
* Direct the activities of company and other personnel, as required, to ensure the successful completion of all projects
* Support other Engineering and Technical Services team initiatives as needed
* Provide supervision to Engineering personnel as needed
* Provide technical assistance to any and all aspects of facility design, construction, operation and maintenance including specialty areas such as welding, cathodic protection, controls, compression, SCADA, communications, pipeline construction, tapping/stopping, LNG, technical interpretation of DOT 192, API 1104, DOT 193, NFPA 49A, and other related codes and standards, etc
* Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following tasks:
* Developing project scope
* Identifying stakeholders
* Developing design requirements
* Resolving conflicting requirements among stakeholders
* Developing project cost estimates/plans/schedules/strategies
* Developing contract specifications
* Monitoring progress against cost estimates/plans/schedules
* Ensuring project obligations are met by frequent site visits/observations
* Reporting status to stakeholders on a regular basis
* Communicating key issues to stakeholders as needed
* Recommending and taking corrective actions as required to ensure project success
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Four-year BS degree in Engineering
* Minimum 10 years job related experience
* Demonstrated proficiency using word processing and spreadsheet software
* Demonstrated effective interpersonal and communication skills
* Demonstrated project management skills and abilities
* Proven natural gas facility design, construction or operation/maintenance experience
* Working knowledge of natural gas federal and state regulatory codes and standards
* Demonstrated proficiency with contracting processes and issues
* 14 years experience in natural gas facility design (transmission and distribution)
* Experience utilizing Stoner pipeline modeling software
* Working knowledge of reciprocating and centrifugal compressors
* Knowledge of digital, analog, and pneumatic control systems
* Knowledge of LNG Systems and processes
* Professional Engineer (PE) license
* Proficiency with project management software (Microsoft Project, Primavara, etc.)
* Able to endure long periods of sitting and standing
* Occasional lifting up to 25 lbs.
* Frequent field visitations
* Able to traverse uneven terrain
* Able to bend and stoop for periods of time and climb stairs
* Able to work long periods at a computer
* On call availability
* Weekend and evening work as needed
* Occasional overnight travel for work and training
* Valid driver’s license
Piedmont Natural Gas is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to affirmative action and workforce diversity.
Are you a returning applicant?
If you do not remember your passwordclick here.
Back to Search Results
Copyright 2010 Piedmont Natural Gas. All rights reserved.